What do I need to do?
Please read the hints in "What are the changes with the release 6.1?" chapter below and perform the necessary migrations.
Depending on the usage of iteraplan at your site, we generally recommend to use an iteraplan 6.1 test installation to familiarize with the New Interactive Client and the extensions of the Metamodel. You should thoroughly test all new features before switching the actual production instance of iteraplan to 6.1.
Our customer support is always on hand should there be any questions or problems.
What has happened?
In the last releases, iteraplan has undergone profound extensions and technical renovations. Especially the New Interactive Client has been completed, and the metamodel (data model) has been extended. The New Interactive Client now replaces the Classic Client. The latter one has been completely removed with the release 6.1.
Along with this migration and the removal of the Classic Client some changes in the set of features and the functionality of iteraplan take place.
What's the timeline?
|When in 2017||Release||Milestone|
|Second week of February||iteraplan 5.5||Interactive Client is the default client for all users|
|End of June||iteraplan 6.0|
All major functionality is available in the Interactive Client
To ease switching of users to the Interactive Client:
|End of year||iteraplan 6.1|
Classic Client is completely removed
Besides several new features and some changes in functionality:
What are the changes with the release 6.1?
The Metamodel in iteraplan has seen major enhancements. See here for details: Metamodel in 6.1
Import/Export formats, APIs etc. and the Information Flow Diagram reflect these changes, of course. See here for details: Changes related to the extended Metamodel
When upgrading to the release 6.1, the existing iteraplan data and the saved queries will be migrated to fit to the new meta model structure, as far as possible. Please be aware of the following limitations:
- List view, general: If there are additional colums configured, showing related elements, and if this relation is now part of the Business Mapping, then the Business Mapping is now displayed. Thereby the order of the columns might have changed.
- List view, type Information System: Information Flows are no show seperately as Information Flow 1 and Information Flow 2.
- List view, type Information System: Business Object is no longer shown. It is no longer diretcly related to Information System.
- List view, type Business Object: Information System is no longer shown. It is no longer diretcly related to Business Object.
- Nested cluster diagram, Information System as inner or outer type: Nesting via Connected Information System 1 / 2 is no longer available.
- Filter, general: If there is a filter configuration including settings for attributes at a relation, and if this relation is now part of the Business Mapping, then this clause is not migrated but deleted.
- User profiles: Configurations of lists or diagrams, which are not saved as a saved query, but stored automatically in the user profile, are not migrated
Moreover, with the removal of the Classic Client, the following functionality is dropped or has changed:
- Saved Queries, they need to be migrated once from the Classic Client ot the Interactive Client. This has to be done from within a running iteraplan 6.0/6.0.5 installation. See here for details: Saved query migration All saved queries in the Classic Client will be deleted from the database when upgrading to 6.1.
- History data: The history data has to be migrated to a new format. This has to be done before the database upgrade for 6.1 is done. The migration is described in the Upgrade Guide. All history data in the old format will be deleted from the database when upgrading the database structure to 6.1.
- Object related permissions: No longer available in iteraplan. All configured object related permissions will be deleted from the database when upgrading to 6.1.
- Time series functionality (not date interval attributes): No longer available in iteraplan. All entered time series data will be deleted from the database when upgrading to 6.1. Consider exporting it before upgrading.
- Spreadsheet report Excel templates: No longer available in iteraplan. Use the Power Query Feature included in Excel to customize your Excel reports.
- Seal functionality at Information System elements: Now realised via Plugin API scripts. No longer directly available in iteraplan. All seal related data will be deleted from the database when upgrading to 6.1.
- Information Flow diagram Visio template: No longer available in iteraplan. Use the Graphics Reactor to generate your custom Information Flow diagram.
Audit log file: No longer available in iteraplan. Use the data historization instead.
If these points have not been taken care of, some data might be lost irrecoverably. Please contact the iteraplan Customer Support, should you have any questions regarding the changes or if you are in need of advice how to proceed.
The following changes generally apply to switching from the Classic Client to the Interactive Client:
|Feature set||Switch from Classic Client to Interactive Client|
|All diagrams and visualizations||See here for details: Visualizations|
|List view and spreadsheet reports||See here for details: Lists|
|Filtering||See here for details: Filter|
(Spreadsheet reports and visualizations)
|See here for details: Saved query migration|
|Single element||See here for details: Single Element|
|Mass Data & Governance||See here for details: Mass Data & Governance|
|Functional permissions||See here for details: Functional Permissions Adjustment|
|Various other features:|
Administration menu, Successor reports,...
|See here for details: Various|
Also see our release notes page: Release Notes
What has already been changed with the releases 5.5 and 6.0/6.0.5?
Starting with release 5.5 the New Interactive Client has been the default client for all users. Nevertheless, for those who wanted to stick with the Classic Client: It was still available and the setting what to show after login could be changed. See the documentation of the Release 5.5 for details of the changes.
With the release 6.0/6.0.5 the Classic Client was still available, but as reference only, without any support and it needed to be activated explicitely. See the documentation of Release 6.0 for details of the changes.
I have some questions!
You're welcome. Please open a support ticket with your questions or write us an email. You can reach the product mangement team and the division head of iteraplan, Fabian Kainzinger, via the email address provided in the release notification.